- What, in your opinion, were the immediate effects of the Church Committee, both domestically and abroad?
- What other solutions could have been implemented instead of the Church Committee?
- Was the Church Committee an efficient solution, given the time it took to complete the investigations and the results that followed?
- How well does it seem Frank Church and John Tower handled the bipartisan issues that inevitably came from the latter identifying as a Republican, and the former a Democrat?
- What conclusions can be drawn from the fact that they DID work quite efficiently, despite their bipartisanship?
- What reflections can be seen in the US – Latin American relationship today that was similar to those from the Cold War?
- What differences can be seen, what improvements have been made since the investigations of the Church Committee?
- How involved was the Soviet Union in these proceedings, and how did it influence the investigations in relation to Latin America?
- What aspects of the Church Committee would be useful in today’s society, and why? If none, why not?
- How does the Church Committee fit into the larger global context of foreign relations?
Church Committee Hearings on FBI Intelligence Activities – https://www.c-span.org/video/?409117-1/church-committee-hearings-fbi-intelligence-activities – This video is an hour and a half worth of the proceedings and hearings from the Committee, along with commentary. “Church Committee Hearings on FBI Intelligence Activities.” C-SPAN. Accessed May 4, 2020. https://www.c-span.org/video/?409117-1/church-committee-hearings-fbi-intelligence-activities.
Church Committee Hearing on FBI Informants – https://www.c-span.org/video/?409602-1/church-committee-hearing-fbi-informants – This video shows specific hearings from FBI informants, including Gary Thomas Rowe and Mary Jo Cook. “Church Committee Hearing on FBI Informants.” C-SPAN. Accessed May 4, 2020. https://www.c-span.org/video/?409602-1/church-committee-hearing-fbi-informants.
Nomination of Ambassador Frank C. Carlucci : hearings before the Select Committee on Intelligence of the United States Senate, Ninety-fifth Congress, second session … January 27, and 30, 1978. – https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode=LCCN&searchArg=78602044&searchType=1&permalink=y – Records of hearings of the Select Committee on Intelligence, the permanent installment of the Church Committee. “BookNomination of Ambassador Frank C. Carlucci : Hearings before the Select Committee …” LC Catalog – Item Information (Full Record). Accessed May 4, 2020. https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode=LCCN&searchArg=78602044&searchType=1&permalink=y.
Rockefeller Commission Report – http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/contents/church/contents_church_reports_rockcomm.htm – A report to the President of the United States regarding CIA activities. “Assassination Archive and Research Center.” ASSASSINATION ARCHIVES. Accessed May 4, 2020. http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/contents/church/contents_church_reports_rockcomm.htm.
Looking back at the Church Committee – https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/looking-back-at-the-church-committee – This article highlights the modern importance of the Church Committee. “Looking Back at the Church Committee.” National Constitution Center – constitutioncenter.org. Accessed May 4, 2020. https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/looking-back-at-the-church-committee.